Keeping Warm

Sorauren Snow

Awe yes, the question of warmth comes up around living food a lot. Especially this time of year. Everyone is unique when it comes to their dietary needs, but I believe in maintaining 60% raw foods during the Canadian cold season, so green smoothies, salads and other fresh plant-based treats. While the remaining 40% should be warming, cooked foods… and I’m not talking about a piping hot pepperoni pizza either.

  • Things that grow under the soil tend to make us warmer like sweet potatoes, carrots, or maca.
  • Squash also has a great warming effect on the body and they make delicious soups.
  • Spices are helpful, think cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, cayenne. Add these to smoothies, or hot teas. Easy way to spice things up and warm yourself at the same time.
  • Beans and legumes are so satisfying, sprout them before cooking for an extra nutrient kick.
  • Grains are both grounding and warming, stick to gluten free options, my top three are quinoa, amaranth and long grain wild rice.

Check out some of our soup recipes here and my fav turmeric smoothie here and maybe invest in a pair of slippers.

 

Keeping Warm

One thought on “Keeping Warm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s